Southampton will welcome Newcastle United to St. Mary's Stadium for a matchday 21 fixture in England Premier League. The last meeting on 28th August 2021 ended in a 2-2 draw. Both sides have met seventeen times in the most recent seasons. Southampton has won 6 matches, and Newcastle United triumphed in 6. Recent outings average 3.24 goals, while both teams score 59% of the time.
Southampton's last game in the England Premier League against Tottenham Hotspur at home ended in a 1-1 draw. They were lucky to collect one point since they played less with the ball and attempted fewer shots. Southampton scored before halftime in the 25th minute.
Newcastle United's recent game against Manchester United ended in a home 1-1 draw. One point was the maximum they could have won with that display. Newcastle United put in a decent first-half display and scored in the 7th minute.
Since the start of the season, Southampton is more dominant at home. They have three wins out of 11 games on home soil. Although Southampton is among the most solid home teams in the league, they are far from perfect. Their defence is not as good as expected with just 27% home clean sheets.
Newcastle United has picked up 5 points from the previous six league games. They still have a lot to prove when playing away from home. Geordies wins 0.60 points per away game, a bit less than their home record shows. To improve results, they have to be more compact in defence. Newcastle United kept a clean sheet in just 10% of their visits.
It is not a surprise that the hosts stand out as a favourite to win this one. Southampton is currently unbeaten at home in eight games. Since the start of the season, they have lost at home on just one occasion.
The Magpies got the three points in their previous away games but are still off their best. Their away record does not convince me that they have what it takes to avoid defeat on Saturday.
I am confident that the hosts will prove their worth and triumph with another home victory. Southampton wins on average 1.45 points per home game, compared to 0.60 points per away game for Newcastle United. My prediction is Southampton to win.
Southampton vs Newcastle United Betting Tips
Southampton vs Newcastle United Head to Head
Average stats between Southampton and Newcastle United in most recent 17 outings in the England Premier League.
Southampton vs Newcastle United Stats
Results and League Table
Average stats between Southampton and Newcastle United across current season. Calculated from Southampton's Home stats and Newcastle United's Away stats.
England Premier League Form
- Coming into this game, Southampton has picked up 6 points from the last 5 games, both home and away. That's 1.2 points per game on average. BTTS has landed in an intriguing 4 of those games. Southampton has scored 7 times in the last 5 fixtures.
- Superb stuff from Southampton at home, where they are currently unbeaten in 6 games. Can they go another game without defeat?
- Newcastle United's defence will have to be at their best today if they're to stop Southampton from scoring. The home side has scored in the last 6 games in front of their own fans. They have failed to score in 2 home matches this season.
- Southampton has put together a good run of form and has now gone 3 games without defeat.
- It's possible we will see a couple of goals here, with the last 8 games for Southampton ending with 2 goals or more being scored.
- Southampton will be looking to keep up the momentum today against Newcastle United, having lost just 1 game from the last 5. They have won 1 and drawn 3
- In the last 5 matches for Southampton, 4 of those games has ended with both teams scoring. This season 11 matches (58% of all matches) involving Southampton has seen BTTS landing.
- Coming into this game, Newcastle United has picked up 4 points from the last 5 games, both home and away. That's 0.8 points per game on average. BTTS has landed in just 2 of those games. Newcastle United has scored 3 times in the last 5 fixtures.
- It's possible we will see a couple of goals here, with the last 4 games for Newcastle United ending with 2 goals or more being scored.
- Things have not been going that well in front of goal for Newcastle United recently, with the side failing to score in 2 of the last 5 games. Will the manager change his tactics today, or throw in another forward?
- Just 2 of the last 5 games for Newcastle United has ended with both teams scoring. They have won 1 of those 5 games. Overall, BTTS has landed in 13/19 games for Newcastle United this season.
|Total / L6||Home||Away|
|Win %||23% / 50%||27 %||18 %|
|Draw %||45% / 33%||64 %||27 %|
|Loss %||32% / 17%||9 %||55 %|
|AVG Goals||2.73 / 3.83||2.18||3.27|
|Scored||1.18 / 2.17||1.27||1.09|
|Conceded||1.55 / 1.67||0.91||2.18|
|BTTS %||64% / 100%||64 %||64 %|
|BTTS Win||9% / 50%||9 %||9 %|
|BTTS Loss||18% / 17%||0 %||36 %|
|Scored in Both||14% / 50%||18 %||9 %|
|Scores %||77% / 100%||82 %||73 %|
|Clean Sheet %||23% / 0%||27 %||18 %|
|Frist Goal %||55% / 83%||73 %||36 %|
|Possession %||48% / 44%||47 %||48 %|
|Corners||5.73 / 4.80||5.36||6.09|
|Cards||2.14 / 2.50||2.00||2.27|
|Offsides||1.00 / 1.40||1.10||0.90|
|Fouls||11.27 / 12.00||12.00||10.55|
|Shots||12.68 / 11.40||13.36||12.00|
|Shots on Target||5.14 / 6.60||5.09||5.18|
|Total / L6||Home||Away|
|Win %||10% / 17%||9 %||10 %|
|Draw %||43% / 33%||55 %||30 %|
|Loss %||48% / 50%||36 %||60 %|
|AVG Goals||3.05 / 2.33||3.36||2.70|
|Scored||1.00 / 0.67||1.27||0.70|
|Conceded||2.05 / 1.67||2.09||2.00|
|BTTS %||67% / 50%||73 %||60 %|
|BTTS Win||0% / 0%||0 %||0 %|
|BTTS Loss||24% / 17%||18 %||30 %|
|Scored in Both||10% / 0%||18 %||0 %|
|Scores %||76% / 67%||82 %||70 %|
|Clean Sheet %||10% / 17%||9 %||10 %|
|Frist Goal %||52% / 67%||73 %||30 %|
|Possession %||39% / 39%||38 %||40 %|
|Corners||4.25 / 4.20||4.18||4.33|
|Cards||2.62 / 2.00||2.45||2.80|
|Offsides||1.55 / 2.00||1.36||1.78|
|Fouls||9.45 / 8.80||10.09||8.67|
|Shots||11.95 / 13.00||13.09||10.56|
|Shots on Target||4.25 / 5.60||4.55||3.89|
Over 2.5 Goals and BTTS
Number of Corners
First Half Corners
Second Half Corners
Number of Cards
First Half Cards
Second Half Cards
Southampton vs Newcastle United Odds
|HT 1||2.35||HT X||2.19||HT 2||5.10|
|Home Win Nil||2.90||Away Win Nil||8.50|
|Over 2.5||1.68||Under 2.5||2.20|
|BTTS Yes||1.76||BTTS NO||2.08|
|Over 9.5 Corners||1.59||Under 9.5 Corners||2.30|