Sporting and Villarreal are playing against each other in a match of the 1/16-finals of Europa League. The Portuguese team were second in Group E, after Arsenal, while the Spanish team won one of the equal groups, which included Rapid Wien, Rangers and Spartak Moscow.
Sporting are continuing their fight in all competitions, and even had a reason for joy after the Lions took Taça da Liga’s trophy after a victory in the final against Porto after a penalty shoot-out. However, after that, they had a draw against Setubal and on two occasions lost versus Benfica, but in the last round of the league, Sporting won over Feirense.
Villarreal are in terrible form, and their incapacity to win games is the reason why they are on the 19th position in the standings. The last victory of The Yellow Submarine was on 13 December, precisely in a match of Europa League. In the latest round of La Liga, Villarreal played terribly and should be happy with the point as guests of Valladolid.
Sporting are behind in the fight of the trophy of Primeira Liga and are on the fourth place in the standings. This allows the team to focus entirely on their participation in the Europa League. On the other hand, Villarreal don’t want to be relegated from La Liga, and the battle on two fronts will undoubtedly make it difficult for the team. Still, the Spanish teams are traditionally solid in this competition, but Sporting are amazing at home, while Villarreal have severe problems in their away fixtures.
I will back Sporting to Win, with Sporting 1-0 Correct Score. We recommend placing this bet in William Hill, where you can take advantage of a $30 Welcome Bonus and regular promotions for loyal customers.
Sporting vs Villarreal Head to Head
The only game between both sides was in the summer of 2016 when the result in the regular time was 0-0, but eventually, the Spanish team won after a penalty shoot-out.
|26.07.2016||Villarreal vs Sporting||1-0 (0-0)|
Sporting vs Villarreal Stats
- Sporting have been knocked out in the previous six occasions in Europe when they had to play against a Spanish side.
- Sporting lost only once, against Arsenal, during the last eight games at home in Europa League.
- The Portuguese team won 13 of overall 17 fixtures at home this season in all competitions while losing three times and drew once.
- Villarreal are one of the seventh teams in the tournament, which still don’t have a loss.
- The Yellow Submarine had a clean sheet in the previous four games in Europa League.
- Villarreal don’t have a win since 13 December (10 fixtures), while the victories as guests this season are just two.
- All three away games of Villarreal in the competitions ended as draws.
Sporting vs Villarreal Odds
Sporting vs Villarreal Team News
Jérémy Mathieu, Fredy Montero and Rodrigo Battaglia will not play for Sporting. The winger Nani is in doubt.
Villarreal don’t have injured players, and only the midfielder Manu Trigueros is in doubt. The defender Jaume Costa is punished for the red card he received in the last match of the team in the group stage.